11.06.2012

A (Small) Kitchen Mishap..

Man, oh man. Some days it just feels like nothing is going right.

Case in point: I decide to make a recipe from Raw Energy, a recipe book I picked up at the library yesterday. My recipe called for walnuts, coconut, honey, sea salt and vanilla. Easy enough. Or so I thought..

I put all my ingredients in our food processor (which we never use and I remember why, every time I try again..), fought with the honey; as always, it never wants to come out of the measuring cup easily. Then bits of food started flying out of the side of the processor, which obviously isn't supposed to happen. I got one good pulse out of the processor and it was done. Apparently, it is on strike, likely from lack of use. 

So, then, I figure I will try the blender. I scrap my messy-mess out of the food processor and plop it in the blender. I turn on the blender, which proceeds to get stuck, because there is not enough liquid in my recipe for it to work out so well in the blender. So, I pulse and scrape the sides. Repeat a good ten times. No bueno. It did not work. 

So, I say, fine, I will just put it in a bowl and hand mix it as best as I can. After fighting with the ingredients that are now stuck in the bottom of the blender, I realize my bowl is too small and I make a big mess trying to mix and roll this mess into balls, which then, fall apart. I managed to get some of them to stay together and put them into a plastic container bound for the (tiny German) refrigerator and go to put its lid on. Wouldn't you know, I picked the one container for which we do not have a lid. Perfect. Plastic wrap it is. Only, my plastic wrap kind of stinks and it gets stuck together and somewhere in there, I began yelling and throwing the plastic wrap. Eventually, I managed to get a large enough square to cover my container, cleaned my (multiple) messes, put the balls in the refrigerator and washed my loads of dirty dishes in my (tiny German) sink. 

Woo. Glad I'm done with that little project. ;) I wish I could say this doesn't happen often, but it does, ALL THE TIME. I have been off my game in the kitchen since moving to Germany. Odd. Well, I'm nothing if not persistent. Off I go, back into the kitchen..

No comments: