4.11.2010

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.
Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth.
--Mark Twain

I recently stumbled upon this quote, and I think it perfectly describes how I feel about living in a place so different than where I spent most of my life. And, also how I feel about moving where the military sends us.

Growing up in a small town, it was not uncommon for people to be those things listed on the first line of this quote.

I do think that you have to see the world to learn to fully appreciate other cultures, especially. Not to say that people from my hometown don't appreciate other cultures, do not get me wrong.

I love to visit places and just people watch. Since I love fashion, I love to see what people wear in certain places and how styles vary from place to place.

I love to try to local foods that places are known for and places the locals like to go.

I love traveling and it's a good thing, because that tends to be the norm in the military. ;)

I am so blessed to have seen what I have already seen in my 24 years. Living in Washington DC, Jason and I have been able to experience so many different cultural festivals and experience things and places I could never have dreamed of. I know DC is only the beginning of the wonderful adventure we have in store as a military family and I so look forward to what is ahead.

And, soon, I will let you all in on a little news that Jason and I are waiting a little longer to share.

PS: I'm not pregnant.

xoxo,
Heather

No comments: