6.08.2010

MOVING.

Today, as I took Dublin for his daily walk, I looked up to see an Air Force jet fly overhead. I am going to miss that. It is such an amazing thing to live so close to a base where Air Force One flies overhead. Or the Air Force helicopters. Or, like today, the jets.

3 years ago, we moved to DC, and I didn't want to come. I cried. I was convinced I would be miserable and it was 'too dangerous' here. In fact, I also cried the entire first week we lived here. If I could have made an almost 24 drive back home by myself, there are many times I might have done just that.

What a blessing coming here turned out to be. One day I will learn to stop being Heather and thinking and trying to rationalize and plan everything and just realize God knows exactly what he is doing.

This summer, Jason and I are PCSing from Andrews. From our first home together as a married couple. A place where we have loved and lost, made so many memories and made friends who became family. We leave here within the month and I move back to Texas for a while. Jason will be there helping me settle in and spending more time with me, before he boards a plane bound for South Korea.

I haven't yet written about any of this, because to be honest, until a couple of weeks ago, I was unsure of where I was going to be. His tour is unaccompanied. Yes, I could have gone and we could have afforded to pay out of pocket for me to do that, however, we weren't comfortable with all the what-ifs and me having to be solely dependent on him, which we both felt would put too much stress on each of us. So, we made the decision that was best for US, which was for me to go back to Texas, get a place there and prepare for our next assignment. (Crossing our fingers for Europe. We are okay with pretty much anywhere, though. I can't believe I finally actually feel that way! It's what you make it.) I wasn't sure if I would just stay here and avoid the hassle of moving and prolong the inevitable, which is saying good-bye to one family in particular that I just can't imagine not being able to see and spend time with. A family who have become our family. That is the hardest part. However, being an Air Force family requires sacrifice and doing things that you aren't particularly fond of doing, or going to a place you didn't choose.

I have lost sleep. I have tossed and turned. I have fretted. I was sure I wouldn't have a place to live. The funny thing is, even when I don't see what God's working on, it always works out. I almost settled so many times with a place without a backyard, which was my biggest hope for wherever I lived in Texas, so that Dublin would still have a place to play. I called about places I didn't really want, because I thought something would be better than nothing. Wouldn't you know, every time, something happened and it didn't come through.

I prayed that we would know we had a place before we went down to Texas this May, so we could see it in person, when we visited and enjoy the rest of our visit. We found a place with everything we wanted and called about it a DAY before we left to go down South. A DAY! I think God laughs at me and my fretting. It always ends up working out. And, usually, better than I 'planned.' I have a place. AND, I have a backyard. I have 2 bedrooms, so I can have guests. I have a lovely living room that I have already bought decor for at IKEA.

No, the situation is not ideal. And, yes, I will miss husband. But, we knew what we signed on for and we are happy to do what needs to be done. Life is what you make it, and we choose to make it work. :)

xoxo,
Heather

2 comments:

Doris said...

Good luck. You will be fine. YOu guys are strong and you are dong what in the long run will be best for you and Jason. Please pick Italy when it's time for him to choose! Lol We are going to be here till 2014.

Heather said...

Thank you, Doris!

J wants Germany, but I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to move to Italy and be near you guys!! We'll see what's in store. ;) I'll keep ya updated!