6.13.2010

New York State of Mind..

My love affair with New York began with two of my all time favorite movies, 'Serendipity' and my favorite Christmas movie, 'Home Alone 2, Lost in New York.'

I experienced all that New York City is for the first time, two winters ago. Amid the cold, windy weather, I was mesmerized. (It was snowing and well below freezing.) Husband and I did not let the weather slow us down.

We enjoyed dim sum in Chinatown.

We had cannoli and pasta in Little Italy.

We took the elevator (almost) to the top of the Empire State Building.

We learned about rent-controlled apartments, how Brooke Astor and Jackie Kennedy saved many historic New York City buildings, including Grand Central Terminal, and about the original Macy's and Gimbels's buildings.

We stared in awe at the Rockefeller Christmas Tree and it's Swarovski star tree topper.

We loved trying to take in every single detail in the Holiday windows of the department stores.

We took the Staten Island Ferry in and out of the city each day and still were amazed by the sight of the city skyline each morning and night.

We consumed two Magnolia Bakery cupcakes, EACH, for breakfast one morning.

We toured NBC studios and sat in the SNL studio.

We watched the New Year's Eve fireworks from Staten Island, in the car, instead of in Times Square with no restrooms, seats or warmth. We liked our plan better. :) Then, we went back to our room for New York pizza, antipasto salad, and our Chinese baked goodies we brought from Chinatown.

We visited Tiffany & Co and I got a lovely souvenir from the famous jeweler.

We watched the Yankees play in 'the house that Babe built,' one September before the Yankees moved into their new stadium.'

Then, this March, we experienced our first Broadway show, on Broadway, 'The Lion King.' Words cannot express how cool that was!

We walked the Brooklyn Bridge.

Our cabbie took us into Harlem, instead of to Kate Spade. All's well that ends well, I still got a new bag, when we finally made it there.

We had cupcakes for breakfast again, this time from Crumbs.

We had frrrozen hot chocolate at Serendipity3. Ah-mazing.

And, best of all, we shared our last trip with our friend, Chris.

New York, I love you! You inspire me. You make me want to remember that everyday is a day to dress up and face the day.

New York City Map poster.
(This poster is also going to be front and center in my new living room, pulling my blacks, whites, pinks and greens together. Photos to follow, when I get settled in, of course.)


xoxo,
Heather

No comments: