2.26.2012

Helau from Mainz, Germany!

J & I and several of our friends celebrated Mardi Gras German-style this year. I lived in Louisiana for 2 years and never got to celebrate the holiday because of work. Then, last year, while J was in Korea and I stayed back in Texas, I got to partially celebrate in Shreveport, which is in Northwest Louisiana and is one of the best places to celebrate with family & children. However, I got sick (no, I wasn't drinking, thank you. :)) and had to leave the parade just as it was getting started. So, obviously, celebrating has never really worked out in my favor. Until this year. Needless to say, it was quite a sight to behold in Germany. The Germans know how to celebrate!

From what I have heard, seen of Mardi Gras in New Orleans, this one was very tame and mostly family oriented. Everyone was clad in festive, fun costumes (except for the Americans, we obviously did not get the memo..). 

And, one of the coolest things in my opinion was seeing the large range of ages of people participating in the parade.

We also learned the Mainz Carneval greeting, Helau, as well! Everyone was yelling it to each other, the parade participants yelling to the crowd and our little group joined in as well.


loving my new kelly moore camera bag! it is so handy, or handsfree rather. :)

2 comments:

Alyx said...

Ah! How fun! I am so sad that we didn't go to Karnival! I've heard that Mainz and Cologne are two of the best places to celebrate, so you guys chose well! :)

Heather said...

We almost planned a weekend trip to celebrate in Cologne, but we are taking a little vacay this week, so we saved our money for that..Maybe next year we will do Cologne. I hear it's more like New Orleans, though. :) Mainz was fun and pretty chill.

Maybe next year for you guys?

Have a great week, Alyx!