10.10.2012

Good-bye, Texas Chute Out.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/the-scene/events/Six-Flags-to-Implode-Chute-Out-173317631.html

There are many things I look back on fondly from my childhood, one of those was seeing the Texas Chute Out towering over and later, standing among the rides in Six Flags Over Texas' skyline. Seeing the Texas Chute Out, with its large SIX FLAGS letters covering its side, anytime I passed the park while in the Arlington area was sentimental and something that was comforting to me.

Some of my favorite family moments were forged at Six Flags Over Texas. My Dad's job used to give out free tickets yearly for Six Flags and for Texas Ranger baseball games, which allowed us to take little mini vacations together to Arlington. We loved going to Six Flags any time we could, but our family's favorite time to visit was always during the holidays. Holiday in the Park was so wonderful! The park would simulate a snow covered hill, called Frosty's Snow Hill, perform fun holiday themed shows (the shows at SFOT were always the BEST, at least back then..), a fantastic park closing show and one spectacular Christmas tree with a ton of lights. One of my favorite memories I have there with my Dad, was when he decided he wanted some of the park's hot cocoa on a chilly Texas evening. And, he bought one for me to enjoy as well. The park served it up in a thick plastic mug emblazoned with a Holiday in the Park logo, topped with a mountain of whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles. It is still one of my favorite hot cocoa's ever, perhaps because in my mind I remember it tasting far better than I am sure it actually did. And, if I'm not mistaken, one of those cups is still somewhere in my parents' house. What can I say? We are sentimental folk. 

It's always hard when things that you associate with a memory, or in my case, a person who is no longer here, cease to exist or change. Yes, life does go on and with it, things will always change, evolve. Sometimes though, that is a bitter pill to swallow.

Incidentally, the day my Dad passed, I was actually at Six Flags, and one of the oddest things about the whole thing is, prior to knowing my Dad had passed early that morning, as I had not yet received the news, I talked about my Dad and our memories there throughout the day.

Today, the day that this ride toppled down, happens to be my Mom's 52nd birthday and two days after what would have been my Dad's 52nd birthday. 

It's not that I will actually miss the ride itself, because honestly, I'm not sure I ever experienced it. What makes me sad are the memories of seeing it towering over and standing tall, amidst all the park's changes over the years. I guess you could say it reminds me quite a bit of my Dad. He was always someone I looked up to and I could count on standing tall and unwavering, no matter the circumstances. I am proud to say, I am doing my best to do the same, no matter what life throws at me.

I'll miss seeing you, Texas Chute Out, but not near as much as I miss you, Dad.


No comments: