2.13.2010

February Fourteen (or rather, Thirteen)..



My Saturday evening was full of Valentine's surprises! :)

Jason wouldn't tell me what he had planned for us for Valentine's Day, so I was completely clueless as to what we were doing or where we were going.

I was told I needed to wear a dress. And, that I needed to bring my Metrocard. So begun our evening...

We hopped on the Metro and got off at the Navy Memorial/Archives stop. It was sooo cold! The snow is still hanging around, and we are getting a little bit more tomorrow. Anyway, we ended up at 701, a sweet little restaurant just outside of the subway station.

We were a bit early, so we sat at the bar and had a little pre-dinner beverage. :) I ordered a blood orange martini and Jason a gin and tonic. So, we sipped on our drinks and enjoyed each others company. After our drinks, we got seated and looked over their menu, which was chock full of total deliciousness!

I decided on potato ravioli with cheddar, scallions, malt vinegar onions, sour cream and a poached egg, with a blackberry lime fizz to drink, along with water. And, Jason chose seared duck breast with sweet potato, cranberry, sauteed spinach, and orange-balsamic reduction. (Jason and I don't go out for fancy dinners often, we normally end up at Murphy's for some Irish grub, song and beverages. :) So, this was a nice little treat for each of us.) We really enjoyed our dinner and the bread that we got pre-meal. Then came time to decide ondessert. And, if you know me, I am all about desserts! I ordered a banana creme brulee tart with a cappuccino. I had no words, except for 'wow'! Jason had waffles with apple and raisin compote with a maple custard. (His was really good, too. Oh, of course I tried his! :))

Between dinner and dessert, Jason gave me a sweet Valentine's card with another gift inside. Tickets to see the Off-Broadway version of Grease at the National Theatre, following dinner! I was so surprised and very excited!

When our waiter brought our check, he also brought mini raspberry French macarons. Which is kind of funny, because macarons have been all I have talked about for the last couple of weeks, because I wanted to try some. We had no idea that they would serve the mini macarons as a sort of 'after dinner mint' without the mint. :)

A few VERY cold blocks later, we got into the theatre and ready for the show. It was a great show! Taylor Hicks and Ace Young were stars in the show. Taylor as Teen Angel and Ace as good ole Danny. Taylor sang 'Beauty School Drop-Out' and put his own spin on it, by playing a little harmonica! Amazing!

Post-show, Taylor met fans and signed autographs, and Jason and I took advantage of that. ;)

Here is a photo of the three of us.



I hope your Valentine's Day was lovely and you were blessed. :)

xoxo,
Heather


No comments: